Sweet Potato Carrot Bread
Updated: Jan 26
A simply, moist, healthy quick bread that will be a highlight of your week. This is a super quick and easy sweet bread that is filled with healthy ingredients and layered with creamy peanut to balance out the sweetness. The sweet and salty combinations are always a winner in my opinion. This sweet potato and carrot bread makes for a delicious and healthy breakfast any time of the week.
This bread is made with shredded sweet potato and carrots to provide the texture with enough moistness to make the bread soft on the inside but crispy on the outside. It is a wonderful way to hide veggies for your kids if they are picky. My nephew, Cooper, ate this bread up for breakfast and he is only 11 months old! I layered the bread with salty peanut butter, but you can use your favorite peanut butter. It provides a great flavor contrast and a smooth surprise in each bite. If you do not like peanut butter you can absolutely omit. It is an oil and butter free bread to make it a perfect and light breakfast that taste very indulgent. It reminds me of a sweet potato zucchini bread my mom use to make when I was growing up. The shredded veggies really do add such add great texture throughout the batter.
You can make the bread into muffins if you prefer and just adjust the cooking time. Just add a spoonful of batter to the bottom of the muffin pan and then about a tsp of peanut butter before adding another spoonful of batter. This is another perfect meal prep breakfast and is freezer friendly if you want to batch cook it for the week. I often eat the bread on its own, but it would be amazing with a little additional peanut butter or even almond butter. So get to the kitchen and whip up this bread so you can enjoy it with a warm cup of coffee!
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato or about 1 medium sweet potato (packed)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot or about 1 large (packed)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup lakanto monk fruit sweetener or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp Creamy peanut butter
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan
2) In a large mixing bowl combine 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed and 3 tbsp of water and let set for 5-10 minutes
3) Shred the sweet potato and carrot and use a towel to drain some of the liquid and press down. Add to the mixing bowl
4) Add in the applesauce and stir to combine
5) Add in all the dry ingredients and stir. The batter will be thick and so you may have to use your hands.
6) Spread half of the batter in the loaf pan. Top with 2-3 tbsp of peanut butter and swirl it in. 2 tbsp is plenty but I like a lot of peanut butter so I add an extra tbsp.
7) Dollop with the remaining batter and spread evenly
8) Place in the oven to bake for about and hour or until a knife comes out clean
Serves 10 slices or 12 muffins
Store in a air tight container for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months
Follow me on @cokocooks and feel free to DM with questions or just tell me what you think
Ingredients in a different colour are products I use for my cooking/baking and recommend. Some are affiliate links and I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting CoKoCooks