Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits
Updated: Jan 26
There is just nothing like a warm, buttery, and flakey biscuit for breakfast. Another comforting recipe I have decided to recreate to be a little bit healthier but just as delicious. Ever since I was little my Dad has always been a huge breakfast lover. He was always a fan of a good warm savory breakfast. In my quest to create amazing comforting food to be vegan, a little healthier, and delicious, I though biscuits would be another great recipe to take on. Not to mention biscuits are wonderful because there are a million ways to serve them. Biscuits and gravy, with jelly, peanut butter, or with a soup or side for dinner, and the list can go on!
These biscuits are fairly simple to make with only 8 ingredients. I used a mix of vegan butter and coconut oil because I still wanted to have the very important buttery flavor. I choose to use a japanese sweet potato so the biscuits would take on a more classic look, but any sweet potato will work. It adds a slight sweetness and just the right amount of moistness to the batter so it will remain dough like. Their is definitely nothing wrong with a classic buttery biscuits, but you definitely won't feel like your missing out when you make this recipe!
These biscuits still have plenty of buttery flavor, they are flakey, and they just taste so good. I prefer a sweet breakfast and so I have been eating two for breakfast with some almond butter and honey. It is an amazing combo that is not too sweet first thing in the morning. This recipe will make you feel like your eating a classic biscuit, but you can feel great about what you and your family are eating for breakfast or at lunch/dinner. Try them out and let me know how they compare to your memory of buttery biscuits!
- 3 tbsp refined coconut oil (cold)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 1/4 cup whole wheat cake flour or whole wheat pastry flour plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (I used Japanese)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and wash a 3 small or 2 medium sweet potatoes. Poke holes in each sweet potato with a fork and place in the oven. Let roast till tender or about an hour
2) Let sweet potatoes cool and blend sweet potato in a food processor without the sling until smooth
3) In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda
4) In a small mixing bowl combine butter and coconut oil and chop in to small pieces ( I just used kitchen scissors) and put in the freezer for up to 5 minutes.
5) Add the butter and coconut oil to the flour mixture and mix with your hands until the butter and coconut oil are pea size pieces
6) Then add in the mashed sweet potato and oatmilk and mix until mostly combined. The batter will not be smooth but just be sure it is well incorporated.
7) Place batter on a flour surface and pat dough down until it is about 3/4 -1 inch thick. Take a circle cutter (I used a mason jar) and cut out circles. Place on a pan lined with parchment paper and repeat until all the dough is used up. Brush with a little melted butter if you want the tops to be more golden (this step is totally optional)
8) Bake at a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the tops become lightly brown
Serves between 12 and 15 biscuits.
Follow me on @cokocooks and feel free to DM with questions or just tell me what you think
Ingredients in a different colour are products I use for my cooking/baking and recommend. Some are affiliate links and I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting CoKoCooks