3 Ingredient Vegan Naan
Updated: Jan 26
So before you look at the recipe, you have to trust me on this one! I promise it works and this naan bread will be delicious. Also, this best part about this naan is it only requires three main ingredients! So what is the ingredient that I am keeping a secret. Tofu! Tofu y'all! So a lot of two ingredient naan bread recipes call for greek yogurt. I have two issues with that ingredient. One is I don't love vegan greek yogurt. Two is it can be so expensive. Tofu is widely available and is super affordable!
This naan is so simple and that is a huge reason why I love it. I also really love how you can serve it or use it with so many recipes. Soups, curry, naan pizzas, with a salad, and this is just naming a few options. The other amazing thing about this recipe is you can make the naan with different flavors. You can add nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavor, add fresh herbs, top it with butter, or garlic. You can adjust it to make it delicious for what you are serving it with. If you are making a pizza, obviously you don't really need any additional flavor because you add all the toppings after. It has a perfect fluffy and light texture. It is important to use a soft tofu because that is what the correct texture will be after you puree it. You want the tofu to be smooth and so you need the liquid of the soft tofu. I did try and make the naan with smoked tofu I bought at the Asian market. Y'all it was so good! It just added a nice smokey hint of flavor into the bread! But, it was a firm tofu and so I just added some additional milk slowly into the food processor until it was smooth. It was so dang good!!
Bread is with out a doubt one of my favorite foods on this earth. It is not an everyday food I eat, but I could be happy eating this naan every day. I love that it is light, healthier, and has a bit of protein from the tofu. I am very proud of this recipe not only because of the taste, but because it is very convenient and easy to make. I will have a highlight to on my instagram if you have any questions! Please give this recipe a try! It can be served in so many ways, it is healthy, and y'all it is just seriously so good!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cup pureed soft tofu
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- up to 6 tbsp unsweetened milk (I used cashew milk and you will need more if not using a soft tofu)
optional: 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp chopped garlic, pinch of salt
1) Puree the tofu in a food processor until smooth. If you use a firm smoked tofu then add some milk till mixture is smooth. (Only a few tbsp)
2) In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. Add in the tofu mixture and mix with your hands.
3) Add in 1 tbsp at a time of milk and mix until the mixture becomes a dough. The dough should be fairly firm and not to sticky but all the ingredients should be well incorporated
4) Shape the dough in a ball and cut it into 4 even pieces
5) Roll the dough till it is about 1/4 in. thick and about 8-10 in long in a rectangle shape
6) Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Spray some avocado oil and once the pan is hot place the naan on the skillet. Let cook for about 2 min and flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the bread is golden and the bubbles turn dark brown.
7) Remove the naan from the skillet.
8) Optional: Melt the butter with chopped parsley, garlic, and salt. Spread on the cooked naan once done.
Makes 4 servings
Keeps for 3-4 days in an airtight container or freeze up to 3 months
Follow me on @cokocooks and feel free to DM with questions or just tell me what you think