Healthy Peanut Butter S'more Bars
Updated: Feb 6
S'more bars are one of the best desserts on the planet. You have the texture and crunch of the graham cracker, the melty smooth chocolate, and then a sweet goey marshmallow to glue it all together. It is a classic and easy dessert most people are familiar with. These s'more bars are the absolute BEST for so many reasons. You don't need a fire to put them together, they are a little bit easier to eat, and the chocolate layer is an amazing fudge like center. Add in the hint of peanut butter flavor and you have and explosion of sweetness in your mouth.
When I was in high school I use to make a s'more bar recipe that was my absolute favorite. It was extremely sweet and pretty heavy looking back on it, but of course that didn't stop me from devouring them. I would come home from volleyball practice or tryouts to go straight to the fridge to grab one. I could not wait to get home to have one of those bars. The healthier s'more bars taste almost exactly like the ones I made in high school, but the sweetness is a little better balanced and the flavor of the peanut butter knocks it out of the park. Ofcourse if you are not a peanut butter lover it can absolutely be omitted and just as amazing!
Surprisingly these sweet little bars are my favorite straight out of the fridge or freezer. I love when the chocolate gets a little more solid but the marshmallows stay goey. I highly recommend trying it out! The crust has honey nut cherrios in the bottom to still get a crunchy texture but lighten the dessert up a little. The center is a simple fudge brownie where the peanut butter really shines. It is an oil and butter free brownie that you will never know is healthy! Trust me because it is my favorite layer in these bars. I topped the brownie layer with a few chocolate chips just to add a little extra chocolate flavor cause why not. Topping it off with marshmallows was the only way to go. The most simple topping ever, but you still get the classic toasty goey flavor you look for in a s'more.
So this healthy s'more bar dessert will become a new favorite if you are a fan of the classic campfire s'mores. It is a perfect dessert to bring to any occasion and y'all it is seriously just the best. I have to admit that I have made a few batches of them already and stick them in the freezer. I wake up in the morning and that is what I have for breakfast. Probably could find something a little more filling, but they make me so happy! So run to the grocery store, kitchen, or wherever you need to go to bake these bars because your life will be changed afterwards!
Graham cracker crust
- 1 cup honey nut cherrios
- 16 graham crackers (the individual crackers or 2 large graham cracker sheets)
- 1/4 cup powder peanut butter (no sugar)
- 2 tbsp lakanto golden sweetener
- 3 tbsp solid butter then melted (I used vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (or almond butter if you don't like peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup black cocoa powder (dark cocoa powder works too)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used a sugar free syrup)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup powder peanut butter
- 1/4 cup lakanto golden sweetener or coconut sugar (1/3 cup if doubling the batch)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I used dairy free Bake Believe semi sweet found at Walmart)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
1) In a food processor pulse the crackers and cherrios until crumbs. Then add in powder peanut butter and sweetener.
2) Melt the butter and mix that in with the crumbs until it is combined
3) In a 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment paper pour the crumbs into the pan and evenly spread in the bottom of the pan. Press down the crumbs making sure an even layer is packed down in the bottom of the pan and then place in the freezer.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
5) Whisk the wet ingredients of the chocolate layer together in a small bowl
6) Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add the wet ingredients in. Stir to combine
7) Take the crust out of the freezer and dollop the chocolate batter over the crust. Then gently spread evenly. Be sure to be gently so the crumbs do not come up in the crust.
8) Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the brownie layer
9) Bake for about 15-20 minutes until batter is set.
10) Sprinkle marshmallows over the top and set the oven on broil. Place the pan in the oven and be sure not to leave because they will cook within 1-2 minutes.
11) Take out of the oven and let cool and the place in fridge/freezer to cool completely. Cut bars into 9 even pieces and store in the fridge or freezer!
* Follow me on instagram @cokocooks for a video or feel free to ask questions or leave any comments!