Healthy Magic Bars
I remember having this amazing bar with chocolate, coconut, and a graham cracker crust at a party about ten years ago. As soon as I took the first bite I had to know what these bars were! Ofcourse the name would be magic bars! It is only fitting because it tasted like magic in my mouth, but truthfully I think the name came from how easy these decadent dessert bars are to make! All you do is layer, cook, and chill. Now I put my own twist on my magic bars of course, but they still deserve the magic bar name because they are easy and just as sweet.
So the bottom of the crust is just as easy as pulsing the ingredients together and patting it in the bottom of a pan. I used the graham cereal for this recipe and it worked perfectly. It is very similar to a graham cracker plus one of my favorite cereals. I mixed oats in with the cereal to add an additional crumble to the crust. It could not be more simple. Now in a traditional magic bar you add evaporated milk, but keeping these bars healthier, dairy free, and vegan so my family can enjoy them I went a different route. The evaporated milk essentially turned into a thick caramel like layer and that is exactly what I created. I use creamy almond butter and mixed it with syrup to sweeten to make the sweet middle layer. The coconut oil allows this layer to solidify and have a smooth texture. Now all that's left to do is add the toppings. So unsweetened coconut to start, and then layer with chocolate and white chocolate. If you are not dairy free you can add butterscotch chips like the traditional bars. After, you lightly press the toppings into the middle and all that is left to do is let it freeze to set! The waiting is the hardest part.
After these bars come out of the freezer and you cut into them the first bite is the best. You have the smoothness of the caramel layer but the crunch of the chocolate chips. I love the texture of the coconut, but that ingredient is definitely optional if you are not a coconut fan. You literally can't get much better then these magic bars. They would absolutely be perfect to bring to a party or just keep in the freezer for a sweet treat. I love that they are not as heavy as the traditional bars, but they are just as delicious. Please do yourself or loved ones a favor and try these amazing magic bars.
- 1 1/2 cups Graham cereal
- 1/2 cup any kind of oats
- 2 tbsp lakanto golden sweetener or coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp plant based butter
- 3/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (any will work including sugar free)
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate (I used the great value vegan white chocolate)
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate
- sprinkle of flakey sea salt
1) Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment
2) In a food processor blend the oats and cereal until fine. Then add in the sugar and pulse to combine.
3) Melt the butter and add to the crumbs. Mix/pulse until combined
4) Pour the crumbs in the baking dish and spread out and press the crumbs so they stick together
5) Bake for about 6-7 minutes until the crust just becomes a little bit more golden
6) In a bowl mix the almond butter and maple syrup to combine.
7) Add in melted coconut oil and mix till smooth
8) Pour the almond butter mixture onto the crust and gentle spread. Be careful the crust does not come up
9) Sprinkle on coconut followed by the chocolate and white chocolate
10) Press down the toppings so they sink into the almond butter mixture a little and add the sprinkle of flakey sea salt. Then place in the freezer.
11) Cut into 9 bars and then ready to serve
* Follow me on instagram @cokocooks for a video or feel free to ask questions or leave any comments!
Ingredients in a different colour are products I use for my cooking/baking and recommend. Some are affiliate links and I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting CoKoCooks