Vegan Creamy Tomato and White Bean Soup
Updated: Jan 26
Another creamy and comforting soup recipe coming your way! This smooth and flavourful soup is a blend of roasted vegetables, beans, and herbs to make a hearty and satisfying tomato soup. A bowl of tomato soup served with a grilled cheese is a classic comforting meal. I promise this homemade and nutritious version of the classic soup will make your belly and heart happy.
This recipe begins by roasting all of the vegetable to bring about amazing depth of flavor and take this soup up a notch. The beans add to the smooth and creamy texture while also providing some protein. The nutritional yeast is the perfect addition to get a nutritionally rich cheesy flavor. The sour cream or greek yogurt (if not vegan) adds the creaminess and tang to blend all the flavors together. Lastly, the herbs tie everything together and compliment each ingredient in the soup. I topped my soup with homemade crunchy chickpeas, which added a wonderful texture, as well as sourdough croutons. You could also add parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and additional basil. I ate this soup on its own for a meal , BUT it would be even better with a grilled cheese!
I will confidently say I will not ever have another can or cartoon of tomato soup after making this recipe. Maybe not even at a restaurant because the creaminess and freshness of this will be hard to beat. Hopefully you agree and you will find it will bring back childhood memories or times whenever you enjoyed the nostalgic pairing of a grilled cheese and tomato soup! I hope this hearty and satisfying recipe will make you and your family as happy as it made mine this winter!
- 1 large red onion
- 2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 1 large peeled carrot
- 5 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 cup plant based sour cream (forager)
- 2 cans cannelinni beans
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 small bunch basil chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and drain canned tomatoes
- Roughly chop red onion and carrots and place on one side of a roasting pan with parchment paper. On the other side place canned tomatoes and whole peeled garlic cloves.
- Let the veggies roast on 400 for about 30 minutes depending on how big you chopped them (mine were about the size of a small tomato). Then take of garlic and place back in the oven at 450 for an additional 15 or 20 minutes until the vegetables start to brown on top
- Place all the vegetables in a blender with oregano, nutritional yeast and one can of drained white beans. Blend until smooth
- Place puree in a large pot on medium heat and add vegetable broth and sour cream. Stir to combine
- Add in second can of drained beans, salt, and pepper
- Once the soup is warmed add in basil and then ready to serve
Makes 4-6 bowls
Topping options: Parmesan, additional basil, homemade sourdough or store bought croutons, crispy chickpeas, or crackers.
For crunchy chickpeas: Drain and rinse chickpeas and dry off additional moisture. Add chickpeas to a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt, garlic, and a little cayenne for extra kick. Roast on 400 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes shaking the pan occasionally until chickpeas are lightly brown and crunchy.