Cornbread with Fresh Herbs
Updated: Jan 28
Cornbread is a classic comfort food and delicious in combination with many meals. This cornbread in particular is AMAZING. Not only is the texture and flavor mouthwatering, you would never know this recipe is healthy. It taste like that classic, buttery, crumbly bread we know cornbread to be. There is a secret ingredient in the recipe that helped nail the flavor to perfection.
So what might the secret ingredient be!?!? A mashed japenese sweet potato is the star for this recipe. Not only does it add nutritional benefits, but it provides this recipe with a hint of sweetness and a creamy texture to ensure the batter is not too moist. Fresh herbs are also mixed into the batter and bring on a savoury/earthy flavor to balance out the sweetness. This is totally optional and if you would like to stick to more of a classic cornbread flavor just omit them.
This unbelievable cornbread recipe is made vegan, dairy free, and refined sugar free. You would NEVER know there is not one tablespoon of butter in this recipe. Maybe you can save that part for the top to add a little extra buttery flavor. This recipe is ideal not only for the upcoming seasons to serve with soup and/or chillis, but Thanksgiving is right around the corner. It would pair so well with the classic mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, and whatever else is included on your thanksgiving plate. I hope this recipe will provide some healthy comfort in your kitchen whether is with a chunky bowl of chilli or for the upcoming holidays!!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp rosemary chopped
- 2 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup Lakanto golden sweetener, brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup mashed Japanese sweet potato (about 2 small-medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened oat milk
1) Poke holes in washed sweet potato and roast in a 350 degree oven for about an hour until sweet potatoes are soft and fork tender. Once done, set aside to cool and then peel the skin of the potatoes.
1) Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 8x8 baking dish
2) Put ground flaxseed in a medium mixing bowl with 6 Tbsp of water and let sit for 3-5 min until mixture sets
3) Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing until well combined
4) Mash the sweet potato in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth
5) Add all the wet ingredients, including sweet potatoes, in with the flaxseed and mix until well combined.
6) Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold until batter is formed (may need to use your hands with the thick batter)
7) Pour in baking dish and cook for about 20 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
8) Cut into 8 slices and enjoy with soup, chilli, or even as a snack
* Follow me on instagram @cokocooks or be feel free to ask questions or leave any comments!
Ingredients in a different colour are products I use for my cooking/baking and recommend. Some are affiliate links and I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting CoKoCooks