Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert
Updated: Jan 26
This peppermint ice cream dessert has been a classic recipe at my family's Christmas since I was little. Any kind of ice cream or ice cream desserts will always be my absolute favorite when given a choice between pies, cakes, or cookies. The traditional recipe has a oreo crust bottom, then a layer of hot fudge and peppermint ice cream, and topped with whipped cream. As I have mentioned on my blog before, my dad switched to a vegan diet this year to improve his health. Since this is a family favorite I thought I would try and make a vegan version. When I tested this recipe out on my family at Thanksgiving every single one of them said there is no need to make the traditional version for Christmas because this one is better!
This dessert is so decadent with a thick cookie crust, the creamy ice cream, and finished off with light whipped topping. It tastes so indulgent and chocolaty without feeling to heavy. Their are so many options to make desserts vegan friendly these days and I had no problem finding a minty and creamy ice cream to star in the center of this dessert. I used nadamoo this time I made the dessert, but feel free to try any vegan or non vegan ice cream you enjoy. The key to making the crust so chocolaty and Oreo-like is the black cocoa powder. It gives the cookie layer a rich chocolate flavor that pairs perfectly with the peppermint ice cream for the holidays or really anytime of year!
This lightened up ice cream dessert is an ideal dessert to bring to any family/friend gathering. It is versatile and can be made with many different flavor combination to fit any season or holiday. If you or anyone in your family is an ice cream lover like me try this dessert out! It is a decadent dessert that will please any chocolate or ice cream lover. So whether you and your family are vegan or not this recipe would be a great addition for any gathering to please all dessert lovers.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup Black Cocoa Powder or I love hiit nutrition black cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp vegan butter melted (melt is the brand I used)
- 3 Tbsp refined coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup lakanto sweetener or regular cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar or chocolate chips (I used lakanto chocolate or endangered species)
- 2 tbsp of peppermint creamer or 1 tsp of coconut oil
Ice Cream and topping
- 2 pints of mint chip nadamoo or any other vegan or non vegan ice cream
- 10 oz vegan cool whip (truwhip)
optional: peppermint candies for topping
1) Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8x8 baking dish
2) In a medium bowl mix all the cookie crust ingredients together until well combined
3) Spread on a cookie sheet with parchment and cook the crust for about 16-18 minutes flipping halfway. (It should be crumbly)
4) Let the crust cool completely and then crush the cookie into fine crumbs (You can use a food processor). Then melt the chocolate bar with creamer or coconut oil in small increments in the microwave until it is smooth.
5) Mix the cookie crumbs with the chocolate mixture and press into 8x8 dish. Place in the freezer for a couple hours or until chocolate has hardened.
6) Once the crust has hardened sit the ice cream out to soften until it is spreadable but not melted. (About 15 minutes) Spread the ice cream across the cookie crust
7) Place the baking dish in the freezer for ice cream to harden again
8) Spread with the whip topping and top with chocolate, peppermints, etc.
9) Place in the freezer to set and then let it sit out about 15 minutes before serving
Follow me on @cokocooks and feel free to DM with questions or just tell me what you think
Ingredients in a different color are products I use for my cooking/baking and recommend. Some are affiliate links and I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting CoKoCooks