Cheeseless Broccoli Cheese Soup
When I think of broccoli cheese soup I think of Panera Bread. It was always my moms and sisters favorite soup when we took our many trips to Panera Bread growing up. Now that soup is definitely not vegan and many peoples favorite so I thought why not create a healthier version. I have to add that is a healthier version that is just as delicious. The best part about this soup is how easy it is!
This soup starts with roasting the broccoli because I think it adds a little extra flavor. The next thing to do is start adding everything to a blender. Now since this soup does not have cheese in it I used a good amount of nutritional yeast. It is has many vitamins and minerals and adds some protein. The other cheesiness comes from the container of vegan nacho dip from the honest stand. I find the dip at target or sprouts, and it adds a creaminess and additional cheese flavor. Pinto beans are added to thicken the soup as well as corn tortillas. The corn tortillas also add a hint of sweetness to pair with the cheese. Add in the sour cream for a slight tangyness and you are almost done adding all the ingredients! The only spice in this dish is cumin which complements all the other flavors with a little smokey taste. Once you add the chopped or blended broccoli the soup is done!
This soup took me about 30 minutes from start to finish! It is an easy meal that can be made the day or night of or prepped before a busy week. It is a healthy and nutritious soup while being equally comforting and delicious. If you have been a fan of Panera Bread broccoli cheddar soup give this healthy version a try and see for yourself how delicious it is!!
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 container the honest stand mild nacho dip or 9 oz of queso if not vegan
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I use forager)
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp plant based butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- optional toppings: extra cheese, sour cream, cracker, croutons
1) Preheat oven to 400 and chop broccoli into florets. Place on a roasting pan lined with parchment paper and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
2) In a blender add all the ingredients except spices, butter and garlic. Blend until smooth. (Add veggie broth in last and add as much as the blender will allow)
3) In a large pot add butter and garlic and sauté until fragrant or 2-3 minutes
4) Add cheese sauce into garlic as well as any remaining broth and then add spices
5) Once broccoli is lightly brown finely chop or blend until you get consistency you want.
6) Add broccoli to the cheese sauce and mix. Let the soup heat up. You can allow to simmer if you want it a little bite thicker.
7) Ready to serve! Serves about 4-6. Optional toppings: extra cheese, parmesan, crackers, croutons, or yogurt
* Follow me on instagram @cokocooks for a video or feel free to ask questions or leave any comments!
Ingredients in a different colour are products I use for my cooking/baking and recommend. Some are affiliate links and I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting CoKoCooks